Monday, September 17, 2007

For My Dad....



It has been an unbelievably bad week here at Casa Weatherbee. I got a phone call on Thursday night from my Uncle Bob to let me know that my Dad was missing. His boat was found on his beloved Lake Ferguson, where he has been trailering for the past 12 or 13 years, and his Maple Leafs hat was found on the lake near his favorite fishing spot.
The helicopters and police search dogs spent all day Thursday looking for him, and when there was no trace of him, we were forced to start thinking the unthinkable had happened. We spent the rest of the weekend waiting for the divers from the OPP to find his body in the lake. I am devastated to report that his remains were pulled from the water yesterday (Sunday) at 12:15pm. From what we know, he decided to go fishing on the evening of the 12th, and had some sort of accident that caused him to end up in the water. Our entire family, including most of his siblings, his wife, his children and step children, and so many of his friends from Ferguson Lake campground surrounded us while we awaited the positive identification. The support I have felt over the past few days, and the prayers that have been uplifted for my family have overwhelmed me. We feel blessed to have known such an amazing man, and we are devasted that he is gone. His loss will be felt greatly all over Ontario, as he has made so many friends over the years.

I want to personally, and publically thank the OPP officers who headed the investigation (especially Joe, Sean and Shawn who spent the most time with our family) and who did such an incredible job in bringing him to the surface. We can never thank you enough for the closure you have brought us.

I would also like to thank all of Dad and Linda's friends at Ferguson Lake, who have given so much to our family over the last week. From the support, to the food, and the offers of a place to hang and gather our thoughts, I know my Dad was right when he said Ferguson Lake was the best place to be in the summer. You have truly overwhelmed me with your love, and compassion. I know that there was no other place on earth that would have been a more appropriate place for his passing. There are so many of you, I couldn't begin the list, but know that you have made this so much more bearable with your love and support.

Finally, to my family....my amazing husband, my brother and sister, Katie, Linda, Brandi and Amanda, my Uncles and Aunt, Dorelle, Sharon, Barb...it's been a long few days, and we are ready to grieve. I look forward to the day when we can be together and celebrate my fathers life....when the pain of his death isn't so near to us. I love you all! xoxo

7 comments:

The Nielsen's said...

Gerri:

I am so sorry for your loss... I can't imagine all of the pain this must be bringing to you right now. Know that your friends support and admire you for your strength!

Hugs to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute.
My heart breaks for what you're going through.
We're all thinking of you & wishing you strength.

Anonymous said...

Gerri, I can see that your father was so well loved. It is all any of us can hope for that we touch even a few lives during our own life and your father has touched so many. I hope the next few days and weeks bring the peace that you need to begin celebrating his life. My thoughts are with you.
-suzanne upton

Anonymous said...

You have been in my thoughts all week, when I noticed your blog post. My family is thinking about you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Gerri, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt and beautiful post with us, as I'm sure it was not easy to write.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Tennille said...

Gerri,

So sorry for your loss....your family is in our prayers

God Bless,

Tennille and Kevin Kirkpatrick

Tennille said...

Gerri,

We are so sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers,

God Bless,

Tennille and Kevin Kirkpatrick